There are advantages to practicing either in the morning or the evening, but it ultimately comes down to your individual goals and daily schedule. Yoga can be incredibly invigorating in the morning and get you off to a great start for your day. However, in the evening, it can help you unwind and relax. Here’s a quick overview of how yoga can best serve you, AM or PM:
- Kickstarts your day
- Gives you a burst of energy
- Can stimulate your metabolism
- Can minimize aches/stiffness from sleeping discomfort
- Can stimulate your body’s relaxation response, helping you get a better night’s sleep
- May ease the day’s accumulated tension, aches or pains
- Helps clear your mind and put you in a more peaceful state
*A note of caution, however! Avoiding stimulating postures prior to going to sleep is important! Save the invigorating moves for the AM!
If you’re still unsure which time of day works best for you, why not try them both and see which one feels the most organic to you? You may discover that you’re more of a morning person, and like to start the day out feeling strong, and some of us may realize that we need a little extra TLC before heading to bed.